Saturday, August 22, 2009

Gallup Farmers' Market

August 29th Gallup Farmers' Market

Get there early!  I rode down to the Gallup Farmers' Market shortly after The Splendid Table ended this morning. Earlier than I usually get down there. And good thing; many of the greens were sold out before the market even opened at 8:30!

An $8 bag of local groceries
 
Nestled in the morning shade of the downtown walkway on Coal St., a half-dozen growers were set-up when I rolled in at 8:15. A line had already formed at the Serendipity Farms (Pinehaven)table, and the last of the mixed lettuce was being rationed out, so I decided to start at the Work-in-Beauty CSA table. They had great looking swiss chard and bountiful large zuccs. I bought a bunch of chard with 4 of the 32 quarters I brought with me today.  Next to them were the Vanderwagon couple selling sourdough, white, and honey-oat loaves; all baked using home-milled flour from our local breadbasket region of Cortez, CO. I bought a $4 loaf of the sourdough and was excited to hear that they have found a local source of wheat from Ramah. They also sell really neat planters made from recycled car tires. Finally, I joined the line for Serendipity's produce, with an eye on their fat carrots and beets; both crops fell to grasshoppers in my garden this year. The salad greens were long gone ($4/gal. bag), but they still had a couple bunches of beets, carrots, turnips, and chard remaining when I passed over my final quarters. Two more people in line behind me indicated that the Douglass's would be sold-out before 9 am. Get there early!

This August 3rd Gallup Independent article has general information on the regional farmers' markets and some of Brian Leddy's great photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment