Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Seasons Begin Again

So it feels like the sun is coming back north again.

Both the garden (over-eager garlic shoots have already made a fruitless/frozen appearance above ground) and I can anticipate coming out of our cold, rejuvenating dormancy. Yet, as most second-graders know, despite the occasional feeling to the contrary, it’s us who are on that elliptical route around the bright sun. Either way, it’s warming both our gardens, and hopefully my fingers to keep this we(b-log) going; so thanks for returning.

Just as is the Native American cuisine this time of year, through this winter I’ve mostly been eating stews of many varieties: Lamb and late potatoes, green chile/beef, red chile/anything (All with garlic, and seasonal veggies and canned at 14 lbs. for 1.5 hrs). Frozen Zuni Mtn. elk and El Morro Valley beef have also kept many of my friend's crock-pots full. Thanks for sharing guys, and thanks to all of you who are supporting local growers. (El Morro Valley Ranch is in the Gallup Journey!)

Coming up in this season I’ll post about my egg-less hens/gallup’s chicken prohibition, frozen leeks, perennial rosemary, The Hope Community Garden, local restaurants w/whole foods, NM-grown at the Co-op, cold frames and year-round crops, Native Seed/SEARCH, Julia and Julie, geo-thermal tiliapia aqua-culture, Kitchen Impossible/Food Network in Gallup, historic produce production of the Zuni Mountians, Gallup’s awesome CSA, Navajo a'chee sausage, the incredible local foods of the Gallup Flea Market….and then more.

Again, thanks for coming back to my blog. Kevin

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kevin,
    I have yet to meet you, but wanted you to know that I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog. My name's Ella Scott, I work for Connections here in Gallup, and I'm very interested in sustainability and local agriculture. My coworker, Tom Kaczmarek, and I are involved with the CSA and community garden network, YCC, the Farmers' Markets, establishing a composting facility in Gallup, and a slew of other projects. In the growing off-season, we have been doing a lot of planning for spring and working to expand the grower to grower network. As such, we'd love to connect with you and pick your brain a bit about sustainable ag in the greater Gallup area. With a full understanding that teachers of some of the busiest people, maybe we could invite you for a cup of locally-purchased (and maybe even roasted) coffee? Feel free to email me back at ellasimo@gmail.com and maybe we could set something up.
    Enjoy the snow!
    Ella

    ReplyDelete