Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Apple Harvest

Black Diamond Canyon's 2009 apples

My garden includes 8 apple trees of different varieties, ages, shapes, sizes and health. Some are old, some tall, some broad, some struggling, most sour, and all beautiful sweet wood.  Gallup's late spring freezes often claim my apple blossoms, but not this year, the last freeze never came and I have apples.

Two of the 15+ year old 'Washburn Era' Apple Trees

Despite that upbeat theme, only 4 of my trees produced fruit, and most from the old skinny tree I usually over look. I harvested most of them a little green or just ripening when the flocks of migrating songbirds began feasting on each of the ripest fruit; 12 lbs of various sized fruit filled my basket and pantry just in time.  

The rare ripe apples that eluded the birds

No comments:

Post a Comment