Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Local Lamb

The leg of a local lamb

My favorite locally owned full grocery store is T and R Market in Yah-ta-Hey, NM (5 miles north of Gallup).  In addition to supporting my elementary school and the local community for decades, the Tanner family sells great meat products, including exclusively American raised lamb, often NM local, in fresh whole cuts. 

Lamb's favorite herbs from the garden

Last weekend I bought an 7.75 lb. leg of lamb ($4.89/lb.) to roast over mesquite.  I boiled the bones for stock (5 quarts) and also canned most of the lamb I didn't immediately eat (6 pints).  I canned several pints of sliced meat with stock, and the rest with a curried chutney I made from home-grown green chile, apples, and green tomatoes.

My first butterfly

No comments:

Post a Comment