Thursday, March 4, 2010

2010 Eggs

The lighter colored egg is a minute old
This week, my flock of five 2-3 year old hens came out of their winter egg-laying hiatus, and filled the first egg carton of the season. They stopped laying eggs around November, and I decided that unlike last year, I wouldn't light their coop with a compact florescent to stimulate laying through the winter. It works well, but I felt that these older birds certainly seemed to need to take a break. Though I'll admit, before they started laying, and wondering if they ever would again, I had started to eye the canning recipes for old hens. Old, tough birds being the perfect poultry to withstand the cooking rigors of the canning process (1.5 hrs. at 240), without just turning to mush. But, for now, with regular daily eggs, they've secured their keep in the garden for at least another few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment