Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Planting onions and snow peas

Planted sets before smoothing over the soil
Last week I planted 300+ mixed onion sets and a package of snow peas during a lull in the El Nino storm-track (since returned). The soil along a rock wall with good southern sun exposure had warmed to around 48 degrees, and I couldn't wait any longer to get the first (non-cold frame or garlic) crops in the ground. I may be gambling with the inevitable spring cold-snap still to come, but I plan to harvest all the onions as young scallions, and plant onions to grow-out to full size in a different bed (with more summer sun exposure) later in the spring, so these were spaced only a couple inches apart.

Snow pea 'seeds'
The snow peas are my first attempt at this cool-season legume, and a package of organic seeds from H.D. (Both the local nursery and ACE hardware were sold out of snow peas; evidently I'm not the only one in Gallup who knows of the frost-hardiness of this rare vegetable suited to Gallup's frigid spring nights) planted a 20' row. When they sprout I'll build the necessary trellis structure. Last year around April and May, as I waited patiently to get all my summer crops in the ground, I was more than a little jealous at the numerous reports of abundant snow pea harvests from around town.

Rio contemplates a life with snow peas

No comments:

Post a Comment